Saturday, September 25, 2010

Korea: The Prequel, Part IV

August 29, 2010
I finally finished decorating my apartment today. I even used my vacuum! I took a walk around Buyeo to make sure I could find the bus stop tomorrow, and I decided to keep going to see if I could make it back to where the express bus had dropped me off on Friday. I knew that the grocery store Mr. Kim and I had stopped at was near the express bus, and it had been a fairly large store so I thought it would be good to go to. I was very pleased when I did find it, and even more pleased when I found a frying pan, spoon, chopsticks, dish towels, a glass bowl, and a bath rug. I really can’t tell you how much these little things have improved my quality of life. Try cooking pretty much anything with only an old wok, a fork, and a knife. No bowl, no plate, no spoon, no dishes of any kind. I had dish soap so I could wash things, but I couldn’t dry anything because I didn’t have a towel! So for a late lunch I had some rice, tuna, and a fried egg, and I was very pleased to be able to put it all in my bowl.
So on a side note, I have noticed that Korean people do not sweat like I do. At least they don’t appear to be overly affected by the heat. I was out in shorts and short sleeves on my walk, and I was sweating profusely, but two young guys were out in jeans and t-shirts and didn’t appear to be suffering any ill-effects. I have learned that Koreans don’t really do deodorant because I guess they don’t have BO issues like us poor Americans. Therefore if anyone has a hankering to send me anything, deodorant would be great since apparently I won’t be able to find it here.
I’m really glad I cleaned up my apartment because I had surprise visitors… Mr. Kim and his wife! They stopped by around 5:30 just when I had finished my tuna and rice. It was the nicest thing; they had brought me a transformer, some Kleenex, four small glasses, a large flashlight (“a lantern because the stairs are dark,” Mr. Kim explained) and a Tupperware bowl of kimchi. Mr. Kim also interpreted the note left on my door; turns out it was about recording my gas meter. I was relieved that my place was presentable. I figured Mr. Kim wouldn’t judge me too harshly because when he was here on Friday, all my stuff was still in suitcases, not just jumbled everywhere, but Sunday would be pushing it. I even have all my pictures hanging on the wall behind my bed. The kitchen could have been cleaner, but it was mostly just my fried egg pan sitting out. Can you believe how nice these people are? Like I said, they live in Daejeon, so it’s not like a short jaunt, probably more like an hour to an hour and a half.
I felt bad because all I had to offer them was some water (hey, at least I had ice cubes!), and thanks to them I actually had glasses to use. They inspected my pictures and I showed them my family. I also have the picture of me meeting Obama and Mrs. Kim noticed that one. I tried explaining how he had come to my school’s bike race. I managed to properly greet Mrs. Kim and I told her pangapsseumnida, and she grasped both my hands and said, “Pleased to meet you! I am nurse.” I told her yes, Mr. Kim had told me.
I was happy I remembered to pass them their water glasses with both hands… the culture books I’ve read said never to pass things with your left hand, which I have consistently done here but I don’t think anyone’s noticed. I’m pretty sure Mr. Kim passed me something with his left hand too. Anyway, it’s considered good manners to pass with the right hand, and to indicate respect you should pass and receive things with both hands. It seemed a little silly to grab each glass individually, but I noticed Mr. and Mrs. Kim both took the glasses with both hands and a slight bow, so I think it was a good move. They didn’t stay long, but Mr. Kim said he would come back “later” with his kids. I’m assuming he doesn’t mean “later” as in today; rather at some point later in time. Mrs. Kim is impossibly tiny… I feel like a lumbering giant next to her.
It’s unfortunate that the Kims live so far away; they seem like such friendly people that I’m sure I could visit if I wanted to. I think they’re worried about me, and it feels good to have people nearby who speak the language that are concerned about my welfare, especially if I get sick or something. I asked Mr. Kim where the nearest hospital was in case I get seriously ill or something, and he showed me one near Seokyang but I still don’t know about one in Buyeo.
I’ve been busy setting up my apartment and trying to get my bearings in Buyeo, but it’s been a pretty dull weekend. Luckily, as I was writing this, I got another visitor… Bob, one of the native teachers! Hallelujah! Bob is an older guy who has lived here for three years with his wife. He’s Asian-Australian, but has some kind of Asian accent and not an Australian one. He said that he lives in Dongnam (my apartment complex) and is happy to answer any questions I have. He said that if I need Internet or just want to have a cup of coffee and a chat, I’m welcome to visit him and his wife anytime. He had just come from a soccer game and said that I’m welcome to join their soccer team, and that they have native teacher dinners sometimes, and said that in general he thinks there’s a good group of native teachers here. Bob used to be an accountant in Australia before moving to South Korea to become a teacher. Now that’s a bold move. He said he and his wife love Buyeo because it’s small and charming. Also he confirmed that no, it’s not just my principal, all Koreans are obsessed with volleyball.

No comments:

Post a Comment