Thursday, April 5, 2012

Getting fit the Kpop way

My friends found out there's a 5K in Incheon (city near Seoul where the international airport is) April 21st, and get this: it's accompanied by a free Kpop concert! Yes! 2ne1, T-ara, Seven... I love 2ne1. So yes, I have signed up for it. I was really iffy and basically had backed out due to short notice, but then decided to go for it. My friends were like, Do one of those couch-to-5K things! So I looked it up and yeah, it's definitely a two month program. I thought it could be done in a month and I was like, Well I've got 2.5 weeks, I could get close to a full 5K. Wrong. That's when I was on the verge of saying count me out, then my friend pretty much bullied me into it.

I printed off the two month plan and perused it to see what my best options were for the 14 days I have to prepare. I decided to skip weeks 1-3 and go directly to 4 as I didn't think it looked that challenging. Each week has three workouts, so I'll be able to finish (hopefully) weeks 4, 5, and 6 before the 5K. In week 6 you should be able to run a mile, walk a bit, then run another. I figured two miles would be a good start for a 5K. Possibly this will turn out to be horrendously incorrect, but I didn't want to go too hard too soon and hurt myself or get insanely discouraged, so whatever. Free Kpop concert, here I come! Walking probably, but coming nonetheless.

I had my last test prep class with my third graders. One came up to my coteacher during the day when we were sitting at our desks to ask if it was the last class, and when she found out it was, apparently she was sad and asked if we could have more. How cute. I really like those students. Today before class I was asking two boys how they were.

Me: How are you?
Minhaeng: Can't complain.
Dongjun: I'm very good.
Me: Why?
Dongjun: I got a B on my singing test today.
Minhaeng (agitated): Ah! Teacher! I am very upset!!
Me: Why?
Minhaeng: Aaahh! I got a C on my singing test today!
Dongjun: *cackles*
Minhaeng: Ugh! I have gotten A's since the second grade, but now a C!
Me: Why, what happened?
Minhaeng: I was so nervous.
Dongjun: He was nervous because many people were watching.
Minhaeng: Yes, and many prior people got C's so I was very nervous.
Dongjun: Yes, I was not nervous so my voice was like this *does hand motion to indicate good notes* but Minhaeng was like this *does hand motion to indicate off-key*
Minhaeng: Aaaahh! So upset! I am a better singer than Dongjun. Everyone knows!
Me: Why don't we have a singing competition in class, then we can find out?
Boys: *Laughing hysterically* No, no!

Those students are so cute. They even laugh at my jokes!

There are a bunch of student teachers lurking about at my school. One dropped in on a third grade class to observe, and frankly it wasn't a class I would have chosen to show off. One, we were doing a review. Two, it was a B class and therefore very quiet. Three, we reviewed then played a game so it wasn't the showiest class. It's not a big deal though. He was going to come by a first grade B class but then things got switched, and the first grade B class was one of my worst as far as the kids running amok, so I guess that's good.

My late policy is if the students are late three times, they have to do homework. It's dull - I have worksheets with English verbs that they have to look up in the dictionary and then write multiple times. Very dry stuff. I had to hunt down one of my boys and he sat in on my test prep class and wrote his homework. Halfway through he called me over...

Doseong: Teacher, finish. Headache.
Me: You're only halfway done. You're not finished.
Doseong: (mournful sigh as though his life is literally draining away) Ahh noooo, headache.
Me: Well, Doseong, I get a headache when you're late to class. This seems only fair to me.

Last night I had trivia night per usual. After the game finishes, there's always an individual question. This week's was, "What book series is the TV show Game of Thrones based on, and who is the author?" Well thanks, George R.R. Martin and A Song of Ice and Fire because I am now the proud owner of an extra 90,000won! I started reading those books in Korea and they have now paid for themselves plus some. A fine Wednesday win.






No comments:

Post a Comment