Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Maybe you know me?

First of all, I can't update my #winningmoments entry. Well, I can update it, but it won't move to the top. If you want to read the updates, you'll have to go to the sidebar and find it. Sorry!

Anyway, not much to report. I had my second first day of Korean class on Monday, and it was pretty uneventful. I thought you could show up and buy the book because that's what we had done in my previous classes, but they had run out of books so I had to get one on my own, which of course meant I didn't have it during class. The woman next to me let me read off of hers. I feel a bit ridiculous in this class because some of it is so basic (the different way to say goodbye, excuse me, sorry, etc), but on the other hand, because I had to skip it the first time due to schedule conflicts, I never actually learned the present tense formally. This is good because now I know exactly why certain things happen, but I don't really feel like I'm advancing in Korean, just going over the same steps. It's good because reviewing is good, but I'm beginning to despair ever leaving beginner Korean. Because I've been taking classes longer than most of these people, it doesn't take me long to read or do the assignments during class, and I find myself wishing we could just move on. I'm sympathizing with my own students a lot now.

Speaking of my own students, today two of my third grade boys came into the teachers lounge. One said hi, so I said hi back. Then the other one spoke up:
Student: I'm Dongjun. Maybe you know me?
Me: Yes. I know you. You are Lee Dongjun. You're in the third grade. Last year you were in my gifted and talented class as well as my A level second grade class, and this year you are in my A level third grade class as well as my test prep class. We have had many classes together. (Thinks to self: how could I NOT know you?)
Him: Ah, okay okay!

I couldn't believe he really thought that I might not know him. I was considering that maybe he was making a joke, but I don't think so.

Additionally, his favorite band (as per the questionnaire I handed out) is Radiohead. How nuts is that? 16 year old Korean boy loves Radiohead. Another one of my G&T boys wrote "Big Bang (especially TOP)" for his favorite band. As though I needed another reason to love you, Hyeongjun.

In the free writing section, one of my girls wrote, "Be my baby!" Don't know what that means. A boy wrote, "Hard working teacher." I don't know if this means I am a hardworking teacher or if he means he wants to work hard in class or what. I'm going to choose to believe the former and thus be flattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment