Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dad's first day


Friday, July 20, 2012
Yesterday was Dad’s first day in Korea (sort of). I left school early to get to the airport to meet him at the gate. However, he was the one who met me… I was checking my email on my iPhone when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up to see the man himself – he made it safely from O’Hare to Incheon and we were off! Straight to McDonald’s. Seriously though, we were both hungry and it’s about an hour and a half back to my apartment so we decided to kick off Dad’s international adventure with a (culinary) trip back home.
We hopped the 5300 bus where Dad was pleased they had American-style air conditioning. He had already noticed the Korean propensity toward the bare minimum of AC; that is, it’s on, but it’s not that cold. Luckily the 5300 bus is swanky. We got to Yatap Station and I showed Dad where he’ll catch the bus back to the airport in the event I can’t take him myself. We got on the metro and made our way to my house. Dad noticed that there’s quite a bit of walking involved with public transportation! But he was a trooper despite the heat and humidity.  We’ve been lucky though; the weather hasn’t been too bad.

After relaxing a bit in my apartment we ventured out to buy some coffee for today’s breakfast, then it was back to my apartment to get some sleep.

This brings us to today. Dad and I woke up and got ready for school. We took the bus partway, and Dad had a bit of trouble using his transportation card because I had told him to “swipe” his card when really you should just touch it to the screen. Then we walked up to the school. The kids freaked out when they saw him. Right away two first grade boys were like, Teacher, this is your father? And I said yes, and so one was like, Nice to meet you! The other didn’t say anything so the first boy hit him on the back and yelled at him in Korean to introduce himself. Korean culture is really big on greetings. I brought Dad into school and he met all my co-teachers, principal, and vice-principal. We could immediately tell he was making everyone nervous, especially the women. I thought it was because they were intimidated by speaking to a strange foreign man, but then I discovered the real reason… Were any of you aware that my father is actually a Brad Pitt double? Or possibly a combination of Brad Pitt and Harrison Ford. At least, that’s what my students were acting like. “Teacher, your father… HANDSOME! SMALL FACE! SO HANDSOME! HANDSOME GUY!” Even my co-teacher delivered a bit of a zinger, “You must have been very handsome when you were younger!”

It was the last day of first semester so we didn’t have any classes. Instead the students were cleaning the school. Dad was very impressed (“It’s just like when I was a kid!”). They all crowded around him in the hallway. It sounded a bit like this.
Teacher, is your father?
Wow, so handsome!
Hello nice to meet you how are you I’m fine thank you and you?
Teacher, you and your father looks so alike! Same face!

The best was one of my girls who didn’t believe me.
Jihye: Teacher, who is this?
Me: This is my father.
Jihye: Really?
Me: Yes, really.
Jihye: I think you are telling a lie. He is the new native teacher!
Dad was dying. He really couldn’t get over that one.

I took him to a third grade homeroom because it was my coteacher’s homeroom. The students were beyond thrilled to see him – I only wish anyone cared that much about seeing me. Usually I get groans and yawns. Anyway, the kids actually cheered for him. Dad introduced himself and I asked if the kids had any questions.
1.       Where is Mom?
2.       Have you met David Beckham?
3.       Your face is so small. You are so handsome. (A boy, by the way.)
4.       Do you like Korea?
5.       How old are you?

Then they cheered once again and we swept out to nearly a standing ovation.

Then it was time to go on our teachers’ retreat. We went to a barbecue restaurant, which is also known as the best Korean meal ever, so I was extremely happy. My coteacher told Dad he was very lucky because we only eat beef once a year and he managed to make it on the right day. Dad had a bit of trouble with the chopsticks but soldiered on. He ate his fill so I guess he sorted out the chopsticks thing. My coteachers told him he was very good at using chopsticks, which means I should really reevaluate the compliments they gave me on my chopsticks stills. I had coached Dad on how to accept a social drink and it turned out to be a good thing as several of the male teachers wanted to be his new friend, so Dad ended up downing several lunchtime soju shots. My coteachers were very worried that he was being made to drink too much so they started shooing away the men.

Next it was off to an African culture museum. We watched a drum/dance show which Dad really enjoyed. After we took a group photo, and the teachers made Dad get in it. Then we wandered around the African museum for awhile, then got back on the bus to go to a forest. At the forest we tried to follow the signs to “wildlife” which claimed to have a Siberian tiger (I kid you not). But I lazed out and told Dad I didn’t feel like climbing the hill – it had been a long, humid day and we didn’t have that much time. After the forest it was back to the bus and to school. The principal gave a little speech about the end of semester and our trip and capped it off with saying how happy everyone was to welcome Dad to our school and on the trip. Dad bowed and said thank you in Korean, and I was so proud.  Tomorrow, DMZ time!

No comments:

Post a Comment