Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Not a happy camper

Today was day 2 of the Buyeo camp, and I'm starting to enjoy it. I took the girls and my CT took the boys for the Grease dance rehearsal, and the girls are getting into it, though they didn't approve of my dance so we changed it. We're getting on well.

During the afternoon we had a competition in the gym, sort of like Taboo. One row of students faced the stage where my CT had a notebook with English words (notebook, Monday, hungry, etc) on it and we had to describe it to the rest of the students, who were facing us with their backs to my CT. Each homeroom's native teacher got a microphone and could assist, and needless to say my years of Taboo have rendered me somewhat of an expert in this game, and we sailed past the majority of the teams and scraped into first place by one point in a dramatic finale. The runner-up native teacher told me that we "really had tied" because they "didn't count the last one" for the runner-ups. I told him too bad, we were the teams who got mechanical pencils for our first place prize. The kids were pumped.

Then I checked my phone after class and had a missed call and text from my coteacher. There's an English competition coming up in October, and my principal wants me to teach the representatives next week. Next week the kids are on vacation and I would just be sitting around in my classroom. I had planned to use this time to clean out my desk and tie up my loose ends, so I'm kind of annoyed that I don't have this time anymore, but to be honest, what really irritates me is the fact that my principal is being a complete and utter jerk to the students.

First semester was a whopping 4.5 months, from March 1st to July 15th. That's 20 weeks of school! Then add in two weeks of camp, plus the third camp I'm currently involved in. One of the representatives, a wonderful sixth grade boy named Ho-haeng, has been in every single one of these camps. He's currently in my homeroom for the Buyeo camp. This means that instead of getting next week off like a normal 12-13 year old, he will be in school for 24 weeks. 24 weeks. That is atrocious. I'm nothing short of furious with my principal for suggesting it because I know that the parents will jump at the chance because a) free daycare b) free education and c) a last chance for him to learn English from a native teacher (they haven't lined up my replacement yet). Is it any wonder why elementary students have committed suicide due to pressure? Did I mention that Ho-haeng comes to my extra classes as well? This means that he's in school from 8:30-about 4:00 every day.

To be frank, I also can't help but suspect my coteacher as well. She told me the principal "commanded" her to win this competition, and I wouldn't put it past her to suggest this to the principal since she won't be around next week as she's on vacation. I find it terribly sad and stressful that I would even consider this about someone who I am supposed to rely on, but if past experience has taught me anything it's that this is a definite possibility.

When I leave, I'm going to write a letter to the Office of Education, I think. The demands they put on these students are too ridiculous, and everyone keeps asking why I'm leaving my schools. Why? Because you're slave drivers and I don't agree with it. I don't like how they abuse my presence to coerce the students into extra work.

No comments:

Post a Comment