Thursday, February 24, 2011

Amusing things of everyday life

Often when I'm just out living my everyday life here, I think about how funny and random some things are. I also always think how I should make a list of them, but for some reason this never seems to materialize. Anyway, here's my attempt at a few things that might make you LOL, even if just a little.


1. Pedestrians never have the right of way. Walk at your own risk, and never expect drivers to stop for you. Instead, expect an irritated honk should you even look like you MIGHT step in front of them. My principal drove me home the other day and he honked at a middle school boy for daring to walk too slowly across the street.


2. Contrary to America, buses here aggressively use their size recklessly to pass or bully slow moving cars. Whereas cars in America dart around these lumbering giants, here cars scurry out of the way lest they be crushed.


3. Women's skirts here are worn jaw-droppingly short. I was actually shocked when I first arrived because I assumed Koreans were modest dressers. This is sort of true - it's not cool to expose your shoulders or arms, even in the summer, but for some reason skirts don't even need to be anywhere near fingertip length. The sickening part is that every Korean woman has the most perfect legs ever.


4. It's true when people say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. That is, I've learned several Korean words, especially those that relate to me. This means that I know when people around me are talking about me, however, I don't know what they're saying! They could be saying, "Wow, she's a really nice person." or "Isn't it cool that the foreigners like to eat at our restaurant?" Or they could be saying, "Ugh, it's those damn foreigners again!" "Why is Theresa always so awkwardly avoiding eating her seaweed soup?"


4a. Ways people refer to me:
Theresa
Theresa teacher
the foreigner
the foreign teacher
the native teacher
the English teacher
Sometimes I'm pretty sure they refer to me as "the baby" as well. I can't be 100% certain, but I do know one of my other native teacher friends has been nicknamed "the baby" at her school because she's the youngest teacher.


5. Elderly people (women especially) are the pushiest people I literally have ever encountered. They will physically push you out of the way; however, this does NOT mean that they will ever move out of your way if you're walking somewhere.


5a. Along the same lines, here's something you'll never hear in the subway, on a bus, on the train, or basically in any crowd: "Excuse me." Rather, you'll know to get out of the way when someone pushes you out of the way.


6. Elderly people are also the loudest people you will hear in public arenas. They all seem to know each other (in Buyeo, at least), and they think nothing of shouting conversations any and everywhere, such as buses, streets, trains, etc. This goes for face to face and phone conversations. However, as a foreigner, I will get stared at and/or shushed for quietly speaking English.


7. According to the other teachers, I have unparalled chopsticks skills.


8. Being told you have a "small face" is the highest compliment you can get in Korea.


9. "Personal space" is a joke compared to America. People here crowd you tremendously, especially in Seoul. Additionally, same-sex touching is a way of showing friendship. It's not uncommon to see men holding hands or women linking arms. My kids especially do this - I've seen my sixth grade boys actually sitting in class with their legs crossed over each other's. You know a Korean likes you when they start rubbing your shoulders or back or slapping your thighs/knees.


10. A popular fashion trend here is "couples clothes." Yes, you'll see a Korean couple walking around wearing the exact same outfit - a slightly more masculine version for the man, slightly more feminine for the woman. Couples' mannequins are hilarious.


11. Beer is a refreshing beverage completely appropriate to consume during sporting events. I don't mean while watching sports, I mean while playing them, particularly volleyball.

12. Drinking water isn't high on the average Korean's to do list. I have a water bottle at school I fill up periodically throughout the day, and I'm pretty sure people find this very strange. They don't really drink anything with meals either, unless it's beer or soju.

13. Koreans don't have hardly any body hair and are simultaneously intrigued and repulsed by foreigners' body hair. Therefore prepare to have your arms or legs petted, especially by children.

14. Kimchi is magic. Really. Apparently it's diet food, health food, cures SARS, and can be eaten with any food at any meal during the day. It probably cures cancer and heals the blind too, but I've yet to confirm this suspicion.

15. Vegetables are more expensive than alcohol or cigarettes.

16. Redlights are more like suggestions rather than rules of the road.

17. If you spend enough money somewhere, you can get Korean "service," aka free stuff. Sometimes you can get service just because, which is awesome.

18. No matter how awful or little Korean you speak, it's still "good."

19. Curly hair = perm. Naturally curly hair is impossible, so every time I scrunch my hair everyone assumes I've gotten a perm.

20. It's perfectly acceptable for children (boys included) as young as 9 to get perms.

21. At the first sign of illness, you must immediately go to the hospital and get medicine. No illness can be cured without medicine.

22. Dodging loogie landmines is an everyday hassle. Hawking loogies and spitting everywhere is totally okay, especially among older Korean men.

23. Be prepared for loud chomping, slurping, and excessive masticating when eating with Koreans.

24. Traveling by yourself in Korea apparently makes you very adventurous and brave.

25. Koreans are never "jealous" of anyone, they are always "envious." For some reason even Koreans who speak excellent English almost always say, "I envy you/him/her" rather than "I'm jealosu of you/him/her."

26. Korean pop (Kpop) is awesome.

27. Korean pop groups are incredibly corporate. They're apparently chosen by big labels, worked to death for very little pay, have extensive plastic surgery, and designed with a very critical eye. Being able to sing is not necessarily a requirement. There's usually one lead singer, some backup singers, a rapper, and the rest are eye candy/dancers. Girls' Generation, the most popular female group in Korea (I think) has a whopping nine members. Super Junior, a male group, has an astonishing 13 members.

28. Korean kids are obsessed with Kpop and most can do a lot of dances from music videos.

29. Koreans are highly nationalistic.

30. Koreans can be some of the nicest, most generous people I have met.

2 comments:

  1. Theresa it is so good to see you doing so well. I like the bangs. We all miss you and are looking forward to seeing you. We will have a party! The Koreans seem very nice and I like their additude about beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Uncle Tom, it's good to hear from you! It will be great to see you when I get back. We can go Korean-style and drink some beers!

    ReplyDelete